Sunday, March 19, 2017

I've Moved!

Hello! I'm sorry that I have not posted in a while. As much as I love cooking Korean food and sharing it with you, I had some big plans in the works that kept me pretty busy. I've left my Marketing job in LA to become an English Teacher in South Korea. This was a big decision for me but one that I am very happy with. While I loved my job in LA, I felt called to pursue a life in Korea. I have such a passion South Korean food, music and culture that I wanted to experience it first hand. I'm very excited about this opportunity, plus it will provide me with more food, skincare and makeup to share with you!
I went through the EPIK program, which stands for the English Program In Korea. This is a government program and places teachers in public schools throughout the country. I'm currently living in a city called Anseong in the Gyeonggi province. It's a wonderful city that is about an hour south of Seoul by bus. I've been placed at a great Elementary School with about 52 students total, grades K-6. My class size ranges from 5-12 students. I enjoy the small class size as it gives me the opportunity to work with the students and provide help where it is needed. I'm still in the process of getting to know all of my students but I love them already.
Many people who come to Korea to be teachers do so because they want to travel or gain work experience but that's not why I came.  I came here because I want to be a teacher. I have always enjoyed learning, language and helping people. Given these passions I thought teaching would be a good career for me. So far I really enjoy it. The kids are really great and it makes me so happy when they get excited to see me. It makes me even more happy when they say they like my class. I hope to show them that learning English can be fun and the important part is that they try.
When it comes to teaching, so far the hardest part is the pressure I put on myself. I expect myself to be perfect from the start. I have to remind myself that I have never taught before and it takes time to get good at things. Just like with my students, the important part is that I try my best. I work very hard to create lessons that are fun, engaging and teach my students things that will help them.
I'm also adjusting to the language barrier. I studied Korean before I came to Korea and this has helped a lot. Knowing Hangul has helped so much, as did being able to give a basic introduction. At times, being the only person that doesn't speak Korean can be a bit isolating. I'm not able to engage in banter with my colleagues and conversations can be a struggle. I'm studying and trying to develop my Korean skills, so that I can begin to communicate with my coworkers and students more freely.
It's only been about a month since I've arrived in Korea but I'm really enjoying it. I'm still transitioning and getting the hang of this new life but I am so excited about all the amazing possibilities in front of me. I get to live in this amazing country and work such wonderful students. Stepping outside of ones comfort zone can be a bit daunting but it also creates so much expansion and growth. Not only do you get to learn about a new culture, you also get the opportunity to learn more about yourself. I am so excited!
I can't wait to update you on awesome food, skincare, makeup and so much more over the next year.

XOXO,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment