Sunday, December 20, 2015

Tangsuyuk (Sweet and Sour Pork)

Last weekend I went out with some friends in Koreatown and we ate so much amazing food! One of my favorite dishes from that night was sweet and sour pork in Szechuan sauce. So this week I decided to make tangsuyuk. Tangsuyuk is a Korean take on a Chinese dish. This dish is so delicious and can feed a lot of people. I think this would be a great dish to make if you are having a few friends over. You can drink Somaek (Soju and Maekju(Beer)) and eat this tasty dish. I also hear this dish is great for when you are hungover ;)
This week I am in a dancing mood so my playlist is more upbeat. First song on the playlist is Fantastic Baby by BIGBANG. I love this song! The beat is amazing and instantly gets me dancing! The video is equally amazing. BIGBANG definitely knows how to put on a show. Their videos are nothing short of spectacular. The next song on my playlist is One of a Kind by G-Dragon. This song not only makes we want to dance but to rap as well. Yes, I like to rap. G-Dragon is a very talented singer, rapper, songwriter and producer. He is definitely one of kind. His music videos are always phenomenal. They contain thought provoking imagery. I definitely recommend checking them out.
Now on to the cooking! This weeks recipe is another wonderful recipe from the Korean Bapsang. I am so grateful that she makes these delicious, easy to follow recipes.













Ingredients :
10 ounces of pork loin
salt and pepper

Batter:
1 cup potato starch (or corn starch), soaked in 1 cup of water
1 egg white
1 tablespoon canola oil

4 cups canola or vegetable oil for deep frying

Vegetables:
1/2 small carrot
1/4 small onion
1/ small green bell pepper
Pineapple chunks

Sauce:
1 cup water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Starch slurry (1 tablespoon starch in 2 tablespoons water)

At least 2-3 hours before cooking combine 1 cup of starch with 1 cup of water and refrigerate until ready to use. During this time the starch and water will separate. Before using you will drain the water off the top.

 Step 1.
Cut the pork into bite size pieces. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix together.












Step 2.
Cut up all the vegetable into bite size pieces. I used the whole carrot and the whole bell pepper because I like lots of vegetables.












Step 3.
In a pan add 1 cup of water with the rest of the sauce ingredients (leaving out the starch slurry) Bring everything to a boil until all the sugar melts. Then turn the heat off. We'll finish the sauce after the meat is cooked.












Step 4.
After you drain the water off the soaked starch, combine it with the egg whites and oil. I used my hands to mix everything together. The starch will be stiff but the oil and egg white will help to loosen it up. Once everything is combined place the pieces of pork in the mixture, making sure all the pieces are coated.












Step 5.
Add the 4 cups of oil to your pain and heat it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the pieces in the oil one by one. Cook only a few pieces at a time, you don't want to crowd the oil. Cook the pieces until lightly browned, about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. When you take the pieces out of the oil place them on a plate with a paper towel. The paper towel will soak up the excess oil.










Step 6.
After all the pieces have been cooked, heat the oil back up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then add all the pieces of pork and cook them until golden brown. After they are done cooking, let them rest on a plate with a paper towel.












Step 7.
Bring the sauce that we made earlier to a boil. Add the carrots and onions. When the sauce boils, add the starch slurry and stir well. The slurry will thicken the sauce. You can add more sugar or vinegar to get the sauce to the desired taste. I didn't add extra sugar or vinegar to my sauce. Turn off the heat and then add the bell pepper and pineapple chunks. The bell pepper will lose its color quickly if boiled in the sauce.

Step 8.
Combine the sauce and pork together and enjoy. There is a dipping sauce that you can make but I think the pork is delicious on its own.












Thank you for joining me on another adventure. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. If there is a dish you would like me to make please comment below. Can't wait to see you next week for my next adventure.

Xoxo,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment