Sunday, May 22, 2016

Gamjatang (Pork Bone Soup)

Hello! I'm so sorry I haven't posted in while. I have been so busy with work and exploring Koreatown that I haven't had as much time to devote to my cooking. I am having so much fun! I love exploring Koreatown and eating at different places. I'm learning about all sorts of new dishes that I can't wait to try and make. I also recently got some new skincare products that I can't wait to share with you. So stay tuned for lots of fun posts over the coming weeks.
Last week I went out with some friends and we went to a restaurant called Buchun Gamjatang.  It is a smaller restaurant but had a nice atmosphere. There were 4 of us and we ordered Gamjatang. We opted for the 2 person portion because the servings are very generous. This dish also came with a side of bossam which is free if you pay with cash.
 


I have to tell you, everything was amazing! All of these foods were new to me. I was a little concerned about how I was going to eat the soup with the meat still on the bone.

But my fear subsided when I actually had some meat in my bowl. The meat is so tender that it comes right off the bone. So I just used my chopsticks to clean the meat of the bone and into my soup.

It was so delicious and flavorful. It all blended together nicely. It was hardy and filling. It had potatoes, soybean sprouts, pepper and perilla leaf.  I don't know if I'm brave enough to attempt cooking this one just yet but I will definitely being eating it again soon. 

The bossam was so good! I had never had boiled pork belly before. There is something in the way they cook the meat that gives it such a beautiful flavor. It like melts in your mouth. I think they must season whatever they boil it in to give it such a wonderful taste. 

Then, if all this food isn't enough for you, they make rice with the left over soup. 

It was so yummy! I love how they never waist anything. It can all be used for something and it is all delicious. 

There is nothing like good food and good friends! I think those are the essence to a great life! I don't think I have ever been happier. I have met so many wonderful people since moving to Koreatown. I have wonderful roommates, I get to eat amazing food all the time, and I have such wonderful friends. I'm learning so much. I am also learning Korean and I love how helpful everyone has been. People are so encouraging when I attempt to speak Korean and waiters don't scoff at me when I order something in Korean. It's all still new but I love it and I love that I get to explore this place everyday!

Thank you to everyone that reads my blog. While you may not say much I still see you. I see the page visits and it brings me joy to share this with all of you. I hope you have an amazing week!

XOXO,
Rachel 


No comments:

Post a Comment