Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Yangnyeom-tongdak (Korean Fried Chicken)

Hello! Welcome to my first recipe in my new kitchen. We've had a few guests visit so I made us a lovely dinner Sunday night. Since most of these recipes are new to me I usually only make one in a night. So making a full meal was different. But it was a fun experience and everyone enjoyed it. It wasn't a traditional Korean meal but all of the dishes were Korean. I can't wait to develop my skill set to the point where I can make a traditional Korean meal, complete with appropriate presentation.



Recently Baauer released a song called Temple featuring M.I.A. and G-Dragon and I am loving it. It has an amazing beat. I love how M.I.A. and G-Dragon's style meld together and compliment one another so seamlessly. M.I.A. always has the most interesting lyrics and her style is unique. G-Dragon is one of my favorite rappers. He just has this captivating energy that he brings to each song. The other song that I've been listening to recently has been Rhythm Ta by Ikon. It's a fun, upbeat song. I think Ikon is a good group and they produce rather catchy songs. I enjoy listening to Rhythm Ta while I drive and singing along with it. It helps me to get out of my head and just enjoy myself. 

Now onto the recipe!
This recipe comes from the Maangchi cookbook.


Ingredients:

For the chicken
2 pounds chicken wings or chunks of chicken, rinsed in cold water and patted dry, tips removed, drumettes and flats separated. 
1/2 cup potato starch or cornstarch
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Corn oil for deep frying. 

For the sauce
2 teaspoons corn oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown rice syrup (ssal-yeot), corn syrup, or sugar.
1/4 cup Korean hot pepper paste (gochujang)
2 teaspoons distilled white or apple cider vinegar

1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds.

1. Make the chicken: Combine the chicken, potato starch, flour, salt, pepper, baking soda and egg in  a large bowl and mix with a wooden spoon or your hand until the chicken is well coated. 
2. Heat about 4 inches of corn oil in a deep pot over high heat until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit. If you don't have a thermometer, test it by dipping one piece of chicken in the oil. If it bubbles, it is ready. Carefully add the chicken to the oil. Add one piece at a time. Fry the chicken in batches to avoid crowding. Cook the chicken until golden. 10-12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a strainer and shake to drain. 

3. Meanwhile, make the sauce: While the chicken is frying, heat a large heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add the corn oil and garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the ketchup, brown rice syrup, hot pepper paste and vinegar. Turn the heat down to low and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the sauce bubbles and becomes shiny, about 7 minutes.
4. Fry the wings again: Fry in batches, turning a few times, until the chicken is golden brown and a very crunchy on the outside, 10-12 minutes. Transfer the wings to a strainer and shake to drain, then add them to the pan with the sauce and stir until the chicken is coated.
5. Arrange the chicken on a serving platter, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

The chicken turned out delicious. It was sweet, spicy, crunchy and full of flavor. This also made a lot of food which makes it perfect for parties. I will definitely be making this one again. In addition to the chicken I made cheesy corn and Tteokbokki with cheese. All of it was amazing, delicious and great for a group of people. Thank you for joining me on another journey. Have a wonderful week!

XOXO,
Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment