Sunday, January 3, 2016

Gyeranjjim (Korean Steamed Eggs) and Oi Kimchi (Cucumber Kimchi)

Welcome back for another adventure in Korean cooking! In my previous posts I had focused a lot on foods that can be a main dish. This week I decided to branch out and try making some Korean side dishes. So instead of one recipe this week I made two. I was inspired to make Gyeranjjim (Korean Steamed Eggs) and Oi Kimchi (Cucumber Kimchi) after trying them at a Korean BBQ restaurant. They are both delicious and somewhat simple to make.
I struggled a bit with this weeks music selection. In previous posts I have mainly talked about BIGBANG and EXO. I would like to branch out and start introducing you to other Kpop artists and including some female artists as well. However most of what I listen to right now is BIGBANG and EXO. For me when it comes to music I get really attached to certain artists for a period of time. I am a very loyal fan and when I like a band or artists they make up the majority of the music I listen to for that period of time. EXO was my band of choice for a few months but since I was introduced to BIGBANG's music my focus as shifted. I think that the members of BIGBANG being very close in age to me as well as them writing their own songs has influenced this shift. I still think EXO are great  but I feel more closely connected with BIGBANG.
My two favorite songs this week are both solo tracks from members of BIGBANG. The first song is "Turn It Up" by T.O.P. This song was release back in 2010 and was featured on G-Dragon and T.O.P's collaboration album. T.O.P is a very talented rapper. I really like his style and I think his deep voice adds something sexy to his songs. This songs is fun and a bit cocky which I think is why I like it so much. I will also admit that I am extremely jealous of T.O.P's ring collection. My second favorite song this week is "Ringa Linga" by Taeyang. Taeyang is an exceptional dancer and I love watching his music videos because they usually showcase this talent. He posses this style that often reminds me of Usher or Omarion. This song makes me want to create choreography. I think it would be amazing to choreograph a dance with Taeyang.
Okay, now on to the cooking! Both recipe's are from the Korean Bapsang. You can find the Recipe for Gyeranjjim here and the recipe for Oi Kimchi here.

Gyeranjjim (Korean Steamed Eggs)

Ingredients:
2 large eggs (I used organic)
1/2 cup anchovy broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chopped scallions

Step 1.
Beat the 2 eggs and then run through a sieve to break the egg mixture down into a smooth liquid consistency. Make sure to pour slowly and be patient with this step because it can take some time. If you would like to skip this step just make sure to whisk the eggs more.

Step 2.
In your oiled ramekin or small ceramic pot mix the eggs with the anchovy broth and salt.

Step 3.
Cover and simmer over medium low heat on the stove for about 5 minutes. Add the scallions and cook until the mixture is set (about 2 minutes)
*I used a ceramic pot for this dish. If you are using a ramekin please refer to think provided for Gyeranjjim to see the other cooking instructions.

I cooked the eggs a little too long and they were not as soupy as most Koreans like but it still tasted delicious :)










Oi Kimchi (Cucumber Kimchi)

Ingredients:
3 Korean cucumbers
1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
1/4 small onion, thinly slices
1-2 scallions, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces

1-1/2 tablespoons Korean red chili pepper flakes (gochugaru) I used 2 tablespoons to make it spicier.
1 tablespoon fish sauce (myulchi aekjeot)
1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon sesame seeds.

Step 1.
Slice the cucumbers. I did them in round slices but in the recipe she cuts them lengthwise. Sprinkle the cucumbers with salt and make sure they are evenly coated. Let them sit for about 30 minutes.












Step 2
Drain the cucumbers in a strainer to remove excess water but do not rinse.

Step 3.
Add the onions, scallions and the remaining ingredients to the cucumbers.












Step 4.
Mix everything together until the cucumbers are well coated. This will be ready to eat in about 20-30 minutes but can be left at room temperature for a few hours to overnight to expedite the fermentation process. It is best to eat this within 3-4 days of making it.












I hope you enjoyed this weeks recipe. As always I enjoy making them and sharing the process with you. I do sometimes make mistakes or things do not always come out perfect but that's okay. We are all human and I share my mistakes with you in hopes that it will encourage you to try making one of these recipes. If it doesn't come out the first time, it is okay. The important part is that you tried. See you next week for another adventure.

Xoxo,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment