Sunday, February 28, 2016

Kimchi Sundubu Jjigae (Spicy Soft Tofu Stew with Kimchi and Pork)

Welcome to another week of my adventures in Korean cooking! This week I decided to go with a dish that has always captivated me. I think it is so cool that this dish is served bubbling. It's also spicy, delicious and the perfect go to dish. I had the fortune of tasting this dish at BCD Tofu House on Saturday. Normally when I cook it is the first time I am both cooking and tasting the dish. I enjoy it when I can taste a dish prepared by someone familiar with this style of cooking. It helps me to gauge how I well my dishes come out. I can tell you, this one turned out great!
This week on the playlist we have two songs that make me want to dance! I love to dance and music is very important when it comes to setting the tone of the dance. I really enjoy Kpop because the music always has the most amazing beat and it is one of my go-to's for dancing. The first song is by none other than the amazing BOA. She is so beautiful, talented and an amazing dancer. A friend of mine introduced me to this song and I am so thankful. BOA is amazing and this video showcases just how awesome she is. The song is Eat You Up. This song has all the great elements of a Kpop song but the lyrics are in English. I appreciate this because I love understand the words in a song and knowing what it is about. The dancing in this video is phenomenal. I think anyone who loves to dance will appreciate the choreography. The next song is If You Do by GOT7. I really enjoy the dancing in this video. I love how they use movement to convey the emotions of the lyrics. The music is emotional yet upbeat and I love it. But I will admit that I get frustrated with the girl that is the subject of the song. If a girl says "It's up to you if you want to break up. I don't care.  Just do whatever you want. It doesn't matter to me. I'll just go to sleep." That person is manipulative and please break up with them.
Now it's time for some stew! Are you ready? I got this recipe from Maangchi.


Ingredients:
1/2 Cup anchovy stock (You find the recipe here)
2 tablespoons hot pepper flakes
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon vegetable oil.
1/2 cup ground pork or pork belly
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 cup well-fermented kimchi, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tube of soft tofu (sundubu)
1 egg

Step 1.
Combine the red pepper flakes and sesame oil in a small bowl.
Step 2. 
Heat up a 3 cup earthenware pot on the stove over medium high heat for 3 to 4 minutes. 

Step 3.
Add the vegetable oil, onion and garlic. Stir and allow to cook for 1 minute.

Step 4.
Add the pork and allow to cook until the pork is no longer pink.
Step 5.
Add the kimchi and allow everything to cook for 1 minute. 
Step 6.
Add the 1/2 cup anchovy stock. Cover and allow this to cook for 7 minutes over medium heat.

Step 7.
Add the salt and sugar and mix well.

Step 8.
Add the soft tofu to the pot. Gently break it up with a wooden spoon.
Step 9.
Add the hot pepper mixture and spread it with a spoon.
Step 10.
Crack the egg onto the stew. Let it bubble and sizzle for 1 minute.
Just sprinkle with some green onions and it is ready to serve with some rice! I think this is one of my favorite dishes that I've made. Although there are lots of steps it's not too hard to make. It is so delicious and I imagine that I will make it a lot more. Thank you for joining me on my adventure. If there are any dishes that you think I should make please leave them in the comments. I look forward to seeing you next week for another adventure. 

XOXO,
Rachel 



No comments:

Post a Comment